7.01.2004

Head bobble.....

I just noticed that I have picked up the Indian head bobble. When you speak to any Indian whether you are asking them a question or just chatting about anything, they do this thing that looks like a head bobble to me. It baffles me! The first time I saw it I was thrown off a bit. They will tilt their head to one side, I think to the right and then slightly go to the left with a couple more "bobbles" You know those ceramic figurines that people have in the cars where the head is attached to a spring and it bobbles left to right when you move it? That's what it looks like to me. And slowly everyday I catch myself doing it too. I find it amusing and I laugh to myself when I do it. I think when they do this head movement, most of the time it means they are agreeing with you. I figured out when they tilt it to one side, they are saying yes. I haven't figured out what the gesture is for no. I think it is the same as ours. You gotta love it! :)

2 comments:

asliarun said...

Heh, true.

However, this head "bobble" is unique to South India. After moving to Bangalore from Delhi, i was equally puzzled by this bobble as well! In most other parts of India, people shake their head up-down for a "yes", and left-right for a "no". Out here, you get a bobble for both "yes" and "no"!

Anonymous said...

That was a funny story. what are you goind in bangalor?