6.12.2004

The Best of Both Worlds

I consider myself lucky to have Asian features because I do not stick out as much in Bangalore. In fact, I can walk down the streets unnoticed and no one really bothers me, regardless of my western clothes and Adidas running shoes. Its really nice to have this anonymity. It would probably get annoying if people came up to me all the time. I guess I wouldn't be able to handle being a famous person. I get the occassional stares or double takes...I can sense that they know I am not from here and can see they are trying to figure out where I am from. Without opening my mouth to speak, I can be from anywhere in SE Asia, as well as look Nepalese or be from the NE region of India, where I heard there are people "that look like me". Once they hear my American accent though, they hear dollar signs.

No comments: