6.29.2004

Duty Not Free!

If you ever decide to move to India :), make sure you don't bring anything from home!! Well, at least any electronics, cd-rs, dvdr, household appliances, headsets, digital cameras, SLR camera, printer (even used), spices, food, electric fan, vitamins, medicine, new or used ANYTHING (to be determined at inspection)!!! Because they will charge you a heavy duty on it...at least 40%. Clothes, books and used "other" (to be determined at inspection) are free. It really sucks! My total duty bill came out to be over $250. And what's even worse is that because my shipment stayed there an extra two weeks (it arrived very early) I was charged a demurrage (holding) fee per day. So on top of the duty bill, another $300 demurrage fee was added on.

REALLY SUCKS!!!! I was a little ticked off because the packers mentioned that I would only be charged a duty on large household goods like television, washing machine, fridge, microwave, etc and not small items. And I did not bring any of those. They must have changed the policy en route to India. So I thought I wouldn't have to pay so much. So after my bill I decided to not feel so bad about it and it just accept it because there was really nothing I could do. Just then my relocation rep told me that the company was going to pick up my bill. That was a huge relief! India is constantly surprising me with everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats surprising ! Well hopefully you will get a refund for all those stuff. BTW its no use bringing any electronic items. The Voltage system in India is quite different from USA/Canada (btw, I am Canadian Eh !)