6.16.2004

Starting to feel at home....

I think I found a place to live! It is really nice and very cute! And its in the locality that I want to live in. Its close to work, pubs, clubs, restaurants, and shops! And its cheap! Around $330/month for a 1300 sq. ft. two bedroom apt. The interior is so beautiful. Think of Portland style of 20s architecture with a hint of British influence. I am very excited to have seen it. I was told that I should negotiate the rent even lower...like around Rs. 12,000, which comes out to $266/month. So, okay I will try...doesn't hurt to ask right? That's how I got here!!!!

Yes, India is very cheap but like the States – there are certain things that are cheap or expensive. Today, I was looking at liquor like vodka, more specifically Vanilla Stoli (forgot the name brand) but it would normally cost $20 in the states, here it costs $6. Cable television here is around $2-$4/month. I bought lunch at the Intel cafeteria on Monday for $0.90 (and yes it was a meal!). A pair of nice jeans here cost $10…clothes are also cheap and the quality is amazing!!!

I still can't get over the MNC's (multi-national companies) buildings here...its very western architecture mixed right in with shanty towns or old, dilapidated looking buildings. I just saw Dell yesterday and today I saw HP. VERY WEIRD. Its all here in India! There are also tons of people here….close to 7 million.

I have impressed quite a few Indians here with my knowledge of Bangalore - research helped. Impressed that I know the street names and even some landmarks - and also a few of the major stores here. After 6 days just being here, I am starting to feel comfortable and at home. That just amazes me...and I am even starting to do the Indian head nod from left to right. Next thing I'll be picking up some salwar kameezes to wear.

1 comment:

Vivek M said...

that was good... how you feel about bangalore! oh yes.. they are all here! if you need any help in the city feel free to mail me...
Dr.Vivek M