6.24.2004

Iskcon Temple


Iskon - beautiful Hare Krishna temple. Hare Krishna was founded in the United States in 1966. It is based on Vedic scriptures and they chant and worship the Hindu god Krishna. I had to take my shoes off before I entered this sacred realm. They don't allow pictures inside so I will have to best describe what I saw inside.

Before you reach the Darshan (place of worship) you hike up granite stairs and go through three small shrines. Then when you reach the main Darshan there are three idols of Lord Krishna made out of brass.



Each one has a lei of flowers and it is decorated with sparkling rhinestones, elaborate jewelry and the male/female idols are wearing elaborate beautiful Indian dress. When you look up at the high vaulted ceilings, there are amazing paintings by Russion artists of baby Krishna and his mother Yasoda Krishna during their life span.

I had to walk towards a table where they were taking donations and they asked for Rs. 150. I had no idea what was happening. They gave me a piece of paper where I had to write down my families names and birth sign. I paid then they gave me the paper and a jar of sweets called Prasadam - a holy meal. I have never been inside a Hindu temple before so this was very new to me. I was then led to the front of the Darshan where a devotee took my paper and started chanting to the Krishna deities. He was throwing flower petals and chanted for about 10 minutes. He placed the paper in front of the deity and chanted some more. After he placed a candle in the front to signify the end of the prayer. I assumed that he was praying for good health and life for the people listed in the paper. It was interesting and afterwards I spoke to a devotee about their religion - very informational and not fanatical at all. He was an Indian and spent some time working for a MNC in Colorado Springs, CO. I was thrown off a bit...I am starting to really believe that this is a small world. I left the temple feeling more enriched and cultured. :)



Yasoda and baby Krishna and a jar of Prasadam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cecilia, its me again ..(that anonymous person who gave u tips abt Kamat's)..
Have you ever been to Sunday Mass in your Church ( I suppose you are a Catholic) ? At the end of the sermon, the priest comes with a black bag.. You put some donations ( a Buck or 2).. Thats exactly whats going on there. Donations are collected for the "Food" you get there. Its all Vegeterian though ! You will be offered food, irrespective of your religion :)